Monday, June 11, 2012


Wow! I feel like my blog was SOO long last night! The problem is thats only the beginning. Our angel turned one! Our angel beat all odds! I am sure that you now understand how PROUD we are! We spent 4 months planning for the perfect day. I would go look for Micheals and Hobby Lobby's over baby stores on vacations. The one thing that I did not have to worry about was the cake. Most of you are probably thinking YEAH RIGHT! You are always buying unique cakes monthly for Hayden so why would I not worry about this one. Well believe it or not! I did not see Hayden's cake until everyone else. I will admit this made me extra anxious!I applied Hayden for Icing Smiles in December. He was accepted to their cake program in February. I figured that I would have to drive to Jackson to pick the cake up. Little did I know they would be 40 minutes from me. Little did I know they would be the sweetest people ever. 
Icing Smiles is a nonprofit organization that provides custom celebration cakes and other treats to families impacted by the critical illness of a child. Icing Smiles brings together a long-held passion for service to families affected by childhood illness with my newly discovered ability to turn cake batter and icing into smiles and joy!
I am sure many people think I have lost my mind for making such a huge deal out of the first birthday or infact have monthly celebrations. The following quote was found on the icing smiles website:
"We all celebrate birthdays.  But cancer parents?  We relish these days.  Birthdays are no longer celebrations of the day our child arrived - they are moments to scream to the Heavens - "She's still here!  THANK YOU!" This is exactly how Brent and I feel about Hayden's birthday! THANK YOU GOD, THANK YOU GOD! We had the BEST DAY EVER! THANK YOU ICING SMILES AND THE SWEETERY BAKE SHOP FOR MAKING OUR DREAM CAKE.

Please visit their website at http://www.icingsmiles.org/
What a great organization to donate too??!!!!

You can also find them on Facebook!


I received an email from icing smiles 6 weeks before Hayden's First Birthday. They informed me that The Sweetery from Cleveland had agreed to making Hayden's cake! I was in tears! This was a Bake Shop close to home! We would be able to easily pick the cake up! We would not have to drive to Jackson! WOOHOO!

All I did was tell them that my main colors were orange, aqua, and yellow. I also told them that I was wanting an outdoor, happy,  and You Are My Sunshine theme! The rest was up to them! They were creating Hayden's dream cake! I told them to only worry about it feeding 40! Well Guess What??? They chose to make it feed 100 plus. I told them a flat cake was perfectly fine. Well Guess What??? They chose three tiers. Have I mentioned that it was the best cake ever! I told them that we would come pick it up because it was a long drive and early in the morning. Well Guess What??? They insisted to come set the cake up! Can you tell how awesome these people are? They were just as excited about the opportunity as we were! ( I am glad that I let them bring it) The cake had to be touched up from driving down the rough levee. I am pretty sure it would not have made it if I would have picked it up!
 Hayden is so sick. I was so discouraged that he would never eat nor smash his face into his small cake. I have loved and had a sad heart seeing all these one year olds smashing cake all over their face. I just wish my angel could do the same thing. Well guess what? They still brought Hayden a cake! We even let him have a bite! It was so sweet!
 The finished product was so so so sweet! We LOVED the cake! We never imagined it being this cute! We are so blessed. Many of you are probably thinking that a cake this cute can't taste very good! WRONG! BEST CAKE EVER! It was still MOIST and FRESH a week later! The top of the cake will be his 13 month cake celebration!
                               
 The cake had the words to "You Are My Sunshine"! We LOVED IT!
Each layer was different. We had choc, white, and then a swirl of both:) We had over 100 people at the birthday party! Look how much cake we had left:) I would definitely say that they outdid themselves just to make us have a HUGE SMILE.
 An upclose picture of Hayden's Dream Cake.  Hayden's brain does not allow him to recognize and express his thoughts and feelings. I have learned to DREAM BIG for him! I am SOOO proud of our DREAM CAKE! Hayden's birthday was a dream come true!


Hayden would like to thank Icing Smiles, The Sweetery Bake Shop, and the supporters and contributors to icing smiles! Without the organization, we wouldnt have had the opportunity for a suprise dream cake. We would like to thank The Sweetery too! Without their caring hearts, they would have never known about Icing Smiles organizations. They spent hours making Hayden's dream cake. They spent time away from their families to give our family the opportunity to smile. We can not thank The Sweetery Bake Shop enough. We also would like to thank the people that have contributed to this organization. I am sad to say that it took me having a terminally ill child to find out about this organization. I am so proud to know that so many people are supporting an organization that is allowing parents and childrens dreams to  come true. A birthday to a family of a terminally ill child is simply a PRAYER ANSWERED AND A MIRACLE GIVEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment