Monday, January 23, 2012

A RARE DIAGNOSIS (ADENYLOSUCCINATE LYASE DEFICIENCY)

What is Adenylosuccinate lyase deficiency?

Hayden was diangosed with ASLD at three months old. Many people have never heard of adenylosuccinate lyase deficiency. The deficiency is responsible for a range of symptoms that involve psychomotor retardation, often accompanied by epileptic seizures, and autistic features. Most patients suffer from moderate to severe retardation, while rare patients display only mild psychomotor retardation. Two common theories were proposed to account for these effects. The first is that they result from decreased concentrations of purine nucleotides needed for purine biosynthesis. Decreased concentrations, however, could not be found in various tissues taken from ASL-deficient patients, probably because purines are furnished via the purine salvage pathway and some residual activity of ASL. The second is the buildup of accumulating succinylpurines causes neurotoxic effects. In the severely affected patients, the concentration levels of SAICA riboside and S-Ado are comparable, whereas in patients with milder forms of the disease, the ratio of S-Ado is more than double that of those more severely affected, while SAICA riboside concentration levels remain comparable. This suggests SAICA riboside is the major contributor, while S-Ado may protect against SAICA riboside’s toxic effects.

As of 2004, about 60 patients had been diagnosed with ASL deficiency, but many more are thought to be undiagnosed, due to the heterogeneity of the disease and a paucity of general screening. Patients have been diagnosed from a number of areas around the world, although a large number of them are from the Low Countries. ASL deficiency rose to prominence in the well documented case of Michael Dignan, a developmentally challenged youth. There is yet no cure for this deficiency.

For more information search the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenylosuccinate_lyase_deficiency

12 comments:

  1. Hello Lauren, I have two boys 5 and 2 1/2 yrs old that have been diagnosed with ADSL deficiency 18 mths ago now. We live in Australia. I'm sending you and your family lots of love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha to you both! I have a 4yo who has Epilepsy and Autism as well as a brain malformation- we recently tested positive for a single gene mutation, but her clinical history is consistant with ADSL Deficiency. Any information y'all can provide would be amazing. My best- Alecia Hardt alecialea@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandson was diagnosed with ADSL, 2 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa, or daughter has this also. How is your grandson doing? Write to me at lorenart24@gmail.com please.

      Delete
    2. Hi Melissa, or daughter has this also. How is your grandson doing? Write to me at lorenart24@gmail.com please.

      Delete
  4. I would like to meet any of you, please write me at lorenart24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to meet any of you, please write me at lorenart24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to meet any of you, please write me at lorenart24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am from Florida and have two brothers who were diagnosed with severe ASLD. The oldest Alex passed away at 3 and would be 26 this year. My little brother Andrew also has ASLD and will be turning 20 in November. I (21) and my older brother Justin (24) help our parents take care of him. Andrew has helped shape me into the person I am today and I will be forever grateful. Sending thoughts and prayers your way! -Caroline (from FL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In physiology, lyase is an enzyme catalytically aiding in breaking various chemical bonds by means of an "elimination" reaction, other than hydrolysis and oxidation. lyase introduction

    ReplyDelete