Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Batson journey 5: brief update

Brent and I can not begin to thank everyone for your prayers this week. We are in the hospital for swallowing struggles... Yes, I knew it was coming. Many of my friends probably remember Hayden struggling with feeds from day one. In ten months, I've tried every type of bottle and consistency for Hayden. I have tried to make feedings enjoyable and fun. Hayden loves to eat :) Hayden is on 6 seizure medicines now. These are not enjoyable. We struggle, cough, and choke two times a day.


Hayden had a suck and swallow test Monday. A small amount of aspiration occurred in the lungs during the thin barium. We will continue to feed Hayden by mouth as long as we can give him a thick consistency( pediasure, yogurt, and baby food) we have to prepare for a new "game plan" that will allow him to not aspirate his medicines.


As each of you know, Hayden has 20 to 50 seizures a day. The reason we are in the hospital is due to choking and spitting up medicines. I have hope that once we have a proper way to know that he is getting all of his medicines that his seizures might decrease. After all, if he is spitting out some medicine and aspirating some, whose to say he's really getting enough.

A few specific prayer request as we continue on this journey:
1. They will have to place an Iv in Hayden before surgery. It is a huge struggle. It usually takes an hour plus to find a vein :( please pray for a vein on the first time.

2. Please pray for strength and hope. Brent and I want to do what is best for Hayden. Unfortunately, what is best sometimes isn't what we wish for.


3. Please pray for the doctors and nurses that are involved in his case.

4. Please pray that the aspiration does not cause pneumonia and a decrease in seizures after surgery.


Lastly, it looks like Easter will be spent in the hospital. We already told the bunny his room number :) please pray for All the families that will not be home for the holiday. I will update you all briefly later in the week.I am typing on the iPhone so please ignore any typos.


We are placing Hayden's journey in Gods hands. He is Gods child. God has a glorious plan for him.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren,

    I am so touched by your journey...the Lord's grace is so evident through you, Brent & hayden. I can't imagine the daily struggle you all are going through. I am praying for God's mercy to flow through and touch hayden in ways only He can. You are a very strong mommy and your example of dependence on the Lord is truly inspiring!
    Love,
    kerri darby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful I got to meet your sweet family! Praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete